Top Five Reasons to Use a Collaborative Divorce
Most people going through a divorce are vastly unaware of the options available to them. Thanks to the equally thrilling and dramatic divorce courts we all see on daytime TV, the common thought is that a courtroom battle is the only way to get a divorce.
This could not be further from the truth. A collaborative divorce bypasses the courtroom drama and the judge. Instead the lawyers representing each party will work together to find a resolution. There are plenty of reasons to use a collaborative divorce and here are the top five.
- Time- Using a traditional divorce takes around six months on average. Waiting for a court date and then waiting for the judge’s decision can unnecessarily drag out the process. A collaborative divorce eliminates the unnecessary moving parts and expedites the process.
- Money- The average American divorce can cost between $15,000-$30,000. A Russian businessman was recently ordered to pay more than $4 billion in his divorce settlement.
- Stress- Going through a divorce is obviously stressful. While a collaborative won’t get rid of all the stress, it can greatly reduce your stress level. Because the two lawyers are working together the process becomes less hostile and the solution is often more amicable.
- Children- It’s easy for children to get mixed up and hurt during a divorce, which is why collaborative divorces can call in a child specialist to act as the child’s voice. This ensures the child’s wants are taken into consideration without bias.
- Control- This might be the best advantage of using a collaborative divorce. By not going to court and not letting the judge make the decision, you maintain more control, and you can be more informed and involved throughout the entire process.
The lawyers at Baysinger, Henson, Reimer and Cresswell are all skilled and educated in collaborative divorce practices. If you are going through a divorce and are interested in using a collaborative divorce call a Tulsa collaborative divorce specialist today 918-274-4242.